Thursday, July 5, 2007

Wednesday

I love being home, it's true, I am an ubber-homebody and happy to admit it. When school is in session, being at home takes on a Ground Hog Day quality. It's a lot of the same same on schedule. In the summer, though, schedules are spanked and put in the corner, to-do lists wait patiently for my moods and lots of wallowing in nothingness becomes the order of the day.
So, this is some of what I did on Wednesday.
In the early afternoon, I napped for 45 minutes while the musical stylings of Soundscapes (channel 835 on Comcast) played in the background. Harps. Sounds of the rainforest. Some birdcalls. Eerily melancholy flute melodies. If heaven has a waiting room, this is the music that's piped in.
Later, I watched VH-1's 100 One Hit Wonders hosted by William Shatner. I'll watch anything hosted by Shatner but the guilty pleasure intoxication was amplified by knowing that I had five great books on my night stand just waiting to opened and there I was watching the Safety Dance video by Men Without Hats. If I would have had some S'mores in one hand and a pint of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia in the other, it's decadence even Lindsey Lohan would have appreciated.
In between all of this, there were long periods of time where I stared appreciatively at my toes.
I'll explain.
The day before, I joined my pal Andrea, her husband Mike and her 16 year old daughter Kenna for a family pedicure at a local nail joint. The pedicure was a necessary antidote for having spent most of the day with my animal control guy, Jeff, plotting the ultimate demise of the opposums who recently made my attic their permanent address. After hours of hearing about assorted animal feces and the fatal diseases that spring from their molecular tango and the infestation history of the invincible Norweigan Wharf Rat in Jacksonville Beach, I felt a little pampering was needed. An hour of scraping, scrubbing and firm massaging left my feet feeling softer than Scooter Libby's conviction and when the dust cleared, my toenails emerged a Wicked Witch Apple Red. Glorious.
Yeah, summertime. It's all good.

2 comments:

JSG said...

Shhhh.

The general public is supposed to think that we teachers are busy planning curriculum, disagregating test data, and refining our IEPs during summer, all without compensation.

MJ said...

I love how you capture the sense of possibility and the freedom to squander all possibilities for daytime TV--with no shame. It's one of the ways we refuel...a complete freedom from schedule. I've had many summer days like this and I love them.