Monday, May 21, 2007

Seven Little Known Things About Me

LJ tagged me a while back and this took a while to think through. The worst feeling was knowing that the reason it took me so long to come up with seven little known things about myself was that I reveal everything to everyone regardless of connection to me or whether or not they are even registering a pulse. But here they are in all their peculiar glory.

1. Each and every time I speak in front of a group, I am terrified. It passes, true enough, but right at the start it's absolute terror.

2. I never put syrup on my pancakes, only butter.

3. I haven't visited Disney World since 1978. As a Florida resident, I could do jail time for that.

4. My favorite children's book is Little Women because when I was 10, I read it in installments. Growing up poor in the South Bronx, I wasn't allowed to check out books from the library for fear I would lose the book or worse, be fined for returning it late. I hid the book in another section far from the children's stacks and every Saturday I fished it out and picked up where I left off. It was the first book that lifted me to another world, the book that made me fall in love with reading.

5. Even though I've seen it about 200 times, the last 7 minutes of Defending Your Life starring Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep always always makes me cry.

6. There is not one shred of doubt in my mind that Captain Kathryn Janeway could easily kick the asses of Kirk, Picard, and Sisko. The fact that I've thought long and hard about this should be embarrassing, but I love it that I don't care.

7. My favorite home remedy for getting over a nasty cold is chicken soup with 4 cloves of garlic, Cuban toast, real Coke over ice and repeated viewings of Aliens.

2 comments:

JSG said...

Okay - again this topic should have produced revelations, but the only real surprise was the pancake thing. No syrup? Pancakes are merely syrup receptacles.

The Little Women thing is truly touching.

My guess is that soup, garlic, coke, and cuban toast will either cure everything or kill you instantly. I think it's worth a try next time I need a little somethin' somethin.'

I've been tagged but I, too, have to think long and hard about anything that isn't obvious.

Thanks for the post!

LJ said...

Kathryn Janeway would definitely hammer Picard and Sisko into the ground, at the same time. All while Riker and Odo stood in the corner hoping they weren't next. As for JTK, the chances of them not winding up in bed is zero, and the morning after Kirk would find a few slips of latinum on top of a note reading, "Feel free to take a shower before you leave. Kate"