Sunday, June 3, 2007

Ireland: Day 1

Trans-Atlantic jet lag is not to be triffled with. To simulate at home, take a cast iron skillet and hit yourself over the head repeatedly. I'm still not feeling in sync with my body and I have no idea what day or time it is, but I suppose when you're on vacation, that really doesn't matter.
Ireland is green, very green and being from Florida, it feels a little like home except for everyone driving on the left side of the road. It rained all day here and so there wasn't much time for exploring once we arrived at the hotel his morning. We are staying at the Clontarf Castle Hotel, a real castle refurbished with modern touches (internet access being one of them). I look for specific things in a hotel and this one isn't disappointing me in any area. A selection of great teas and electric teapot was waiting for us, as well as fluffy bath towels and a coma-inducing King bed with soft linens and a luxurious comforter. The room is spacious, so we can spread out as a nice antidote for 8 hours elbow to elbow crossing the ocean.
Folks here are helpful and friendly, not just the people working at the hotel. We met two local sisters, Ann and Celine Kennedy, at the hotel pub tonight and we chatted like old friends. They gave us great tips for our trip to the Dingle Peninsula and some suggestions for touring Dublin tomorrow (hit the Guinness tour early).
This will be a short post since the exhaustion comes in waves, and rest beckons. I lost sleep either yesterday or tomorrow. The time space continuum is no joke when you cross that international date line and I will feel more like myself when all my sub-atomic particles on the cellular level realign themselves after 10 hours of uninterrupted slumber.

3 comments:

JSG said...

Glad to learn you made it safe and sound, and without a TB patient as a seatmate.

DO post pics, chica.

I know you've got that camera nearby...

MJ said...

Ooh, I love the travel posts. I think one of the things that's hard about being tired when you travel is not wanting to spend too much time sleeping because, after all, you can do that at home. But, if you don't sleep, you won't enjoy Ireland. I'm not surprised you're making friends. You are so good at making people feel comfortable and making them open up to you. What a good skill to have when traveling. :) Looking forward to more posts and pics...

LJ said...

From what I understand John Jameson & Son have come up with a cure-all for everything from jetlag to the English