Monday, October 29, 2007

One

Truth be told, most of the time I'm just a big old slug. A sloth of galactic proportions. I would rather sit and watch a movie than just about anything else. Why I didn't become a movie reviewer is a question that continues to baffle me. I've always heard "Do what you love," but I suspect I didn't think it applied to me until it was too late.
I am a fan of many genres, my favorite being sci-fi, but I truly adore any well written story told in an interesting way on film. But the writing always comes first. This week on the free movie cable channels I've been treated to a few of my favorites. Shakespeare In Love being one of them.
This is a movie I've seen a bazillion times and I never grow tired of it, not one scene, not one word of dialogue. I could see this every day for a lifetime and it would still be a treasure from beginning to end. Even Gywenth Paltrow who I'm not a fan of, she does a wonderful job with the lead, accent and all. In fact, everyone with a role, even the extras in the large crowd scene watching Romeo and Juliet being performed, tearful and heartbroken at the play's tragic end, even they are completely believable. As much as I love watching the landscapes and listening to the inspired and sharp dialogue (so funny in so many places), my absolute favorite thing about Shakespeare In Love is the sound that the quill makes when Joseph Fiennes's Shakespeare begins to write. That sound is glorious. And even though the lovers do not end up together, for their goodbye is heartwrenching, we are left somehow satisfied and content. How? I don't know. It's a mystery.

3 comments:

MJ said...

Love and a bit with a dog.

It's my favorite movie--EVER. I've even downloaded the screenplay so LJ and I can run lines.

Enjoyed the post!

LJ said...

Was this the face that launch'd a thousand ships
And burnt the topless towers of Ilium?

JSG said...

Hmm. Maybe I'm shallow. I only seem to recall some really sexy scenes.