Thursday, January 17, 2008

Fifty-five: Oh Happy Day

The happiest day of the year is not the last day of school for me. The happiest day is today, Cal's birthday. I'm a fan of birthdays, there's all that cake, folks wishing you well and yeah, I'm going to say it, yeah, the presents are always a plus. People making a fuss cements the concept that it's true, it is all about you. But with Cal, I'm more exhilarated, really, because he's the best person I know and the occasion of his birth is something to be celebrated grandly and passionately. Being a fan of lists, I'm going to list as objectively as a woman still in love with her husband can be why he's worthy of such the fuss.
1. He's 55 and the man still looks great. I started with looks first because I'm basically shallow and vain, but that doesn't mean it's not important. Now he does have some great DNA to work with with those dreamy blue eyes and that sturdy jaw line most superheroes would love to own. But he's worked hard to stay fit and I appreciate that. Not every man puts forth that effort.
2. He's kind and patient. Living with me is no walk in the park. I can be flaky and have been known to change my mind 4 different times within a span of 3 minutes. Your basic Buddhist monk would have slapped me with his sandal a few hundred times already. The man takes it in stride. He's also kind to strangers, cashiers at the grocery store, servers in restaurants (he always tips 20%), DMV clerks and airline ticket agents.
3. He's funny, funnier than most people I know. Funny is important and life saving in a marriage, and he's smart funny and goofy funny. It makes the days light and soothing when work has pulled up your heart through your nose.
4. He's much smarter than me but never flaunts it or rubs it in my face especially when I'm dead wrong about an issue. He's been able to remake his skill set in less than 4 years for a totally different career. It almost took me that long to choose a name for my blog. He's able to problem solve while playing the guitar and checking his e-mail. He's amazing.
5. He protects me. Each and everytime we walk, he positions himself as the one closest to traffic. That's a little thing but it's how he operates on a larger scale.
There's lots more I could list but it wouldn't be much of a celebration if I stayed here all night to write.
Happy Birthday, honey! I love you always and twice on Sunday.

5 comments:

JSG said...

Delightful tribute to Cal the magnificent. Patience, intellect, looks, and the willingness to take a bullet (or a Lexus) for his lady. Much to celebrate!

JSG said...

BTW - Post #55 hits the blog on the 55th birthday - you clever dog!

MJ said...

So many wonderful tidbits here about Cal. Many of the things you dscribed about him are also true of you. A perfect match.

You also sneaked in so many chuckles-the Buddhist with his sandals--so funny.

DiaBelo said...

The man is your guru, so obvious from the sandal-slapping Buddhist. Follow wisely, grasshopper. You both have the numerology thing going too...

Simmerin Down said...

The Little Prince said it is only with the heart that one sees rightly. I'm out after reading this. You're a vision of love-liness. My veins must be clogged. TAL is 60 and all I see is a need for the paddles, on myself.