Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Fifty-four: Once

Sitting on the wall facing me as I put these words down is a small framed photograph of an old typewriter with this quote by Anais Nin: We write to taste life twice. It's my favorite quote about writing because I believe it to be true. So I will not write about my day since going through it once was enough to make me perpetually wretch into my next two lifetimes. Instead I shall list antidotes to my day:
1. A long hug from Cal. Sounds corny but nothing takes the bile-like stench off a dreadful day as a long embrace from someone who loves you and doesn't let go.
2. Pasta. Lots of it with olive oil, garlic and parmesan cheese. Oprah, Dr. Phil, Bob Greene, the dead Atkins guy, Jenny Craig and everyone from Weight Watchers say you shouldn't eat for comfort. They can all put it in park, close the garage door, wrap their lips around the pipe and suck on it. They call it comfort food because it makes you feel better. Baby carrots can't get the job done.
3. Music. Not just any music. Lots of the songs from the Rent Soundtrack and Just Fine from Mary J. Blige. Many times until I believe it to be true.
4. Aliens. Before this night is done, I'm going to watch it because it's a comfort movie like no other. Soldiers are ordered to go into an impossible situation, lots of things get blown up and shot, the bad guys eventually get eaten and not in a XXX kind of way, and there's a big slap down, kick-ass fight in the end where our heroine wins. Like a Jane Austen tale only a tad more slime.
5. Tequila. Not a lot because that's not the purpose of tequila. Tequila is there to soothe and soften. To offer a sunny place to sit and breathe deeply. Tequila is the Child's Pose of liquid refreshments.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Great post. It had this oxymoron, sweet/hardcore thing going on. I kept getting surprised just when I thought I knew where you were going. :)

JSG said...

Hugs. Pasta. Music. Aliens. Tequila. I do believe you've created your perfect personality profile.

By the way - carbs? Bread is in the bible. Stick that in your Atkins diet.