Monday, December 24, 2007

Fifty-one: Al-fa-la-la-la-lah!

JSG, EG and KV have all hit the ground running on this bad boy, so I will jump into the fray with my own alphabet soup.
A is for airports, airlines and airplanes. See letter H.

B is for blogging. What a surprise to enjoy this process.

C is for Chi Running. Let's see if it will make a runner out of me.

D is for Deal or No Deal. Those broads make Vanna White look like a nuclear physicist.

E is for Easter Bunny Super Hero. The short film that won the city competition, you can see the fruits of my labor as assistant Art Director (schlepper for my pal Vera) on You Tube I believe.

F is for fiber. Middle agers need lots of it for our Holy Grail of body functions, the smooth and all consuming poop.

G is for gratitude. Everyday is a gift and being grateful balances me and reminds me of what is essential.

H is for hell. All the architects of this war are going there and will have a Michael Bolton soundtrack for eternity.

I is for iPhone. Such a gadget. Now I know how a Serengeti crocodile feels when he spies a stray gazelle.

J is for Joy. Cal, my family(yeah, even them), my friends, breathing, moving, laughing. It's great when it's all good, and even when it's bad, it's all good.

K is for kudos to us all for writing, writing and writing during our real and complicated lives. It's been extraordinary to share a bit of you through your posts.

L is for listening. Trying to get better at it is time well spent for me.

M is for marriage. After 21 years, all I know is that it's all about the little things---tone of voice, common courtesies, lots of laughing, simple rituals, holding hands.

N is for nonsense: Patriot Act, No Child Left Behind, tax laws (ha!) for the wealthy, presidential debates, intelligent design, reality shows.

O is for Olmos as in Edward James. From Blade Runner to Battlestar Galactica, he is one of the most remarkable actors drawing breath on this planet.

P is for The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall. My favorite read of 2007, it's charming and sweet without being overly sentimental.

Q is for quality of hire. If education recruited and hired like Fortune 500 companies, schools would be cathedrals of learning instead of discount houses.

R is for real. What is real? Philosophers have asked that for centuries. The Washowski brothers lit up several fat ones, wrote and directed The Matrix for their answer.

S is for Shuhz, nothing but shuhz.

T is for tres leches cake. The Burke version this holiday will soak the cake in dark run and caramel before the sweetened milk bath.

U is for unclog. See F.

V is for Viggo as in Mortensen. Naked fight in a steam room in Eastern Promises. They had me at naked.

W is for writers' strike. Give them whatever they want. The new reality shows have sunk to depths only sonar can reach.

X is for X chromosome. Nancy Drew, Wonder Woman, Sarah Conner, Buffy Summers, Ellen Ripley, Lara Croft, Starbuck, Laura Roslin, our mothers, Judy, Morgan, Karen.

Y is for Yo-Yo Ma. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (flying people, hidden wires) is one of my favorite soundtracks. The cello as breaking heart.

Z is for Zowie as uttered by Joe E. Brown upon seeing Jack Lemmon in drag in Some Like It Hot. Thank Allah for classic comedies!

4 comments:

EJG said...

You get the award for most intellectual list. It's the NY Times version! Loved it!!

DiaBelo said...

Zowie. Just way too many good entries. From Michael Bolton to Yo-Yo Ma - I think you covered from hell to eternity.

JSG said...

Delicious. The G says it for me.

MJ said...

Ooh..my favorite part: I is for iPhone. Such a gadget. Now I know how a Serengeti crocodile feels when he spies a stray gazelle.

W and Q were also high on my list.

A diverse list with a little sumpin (or som-sing, as you would say--I've got the spelling all jacked up.) for everyone.