Sunday, December 16, 2007

Forty-eight: Say Anything

Today the Lord of the Rings trilogy was on TNT for most of the day. All three movies are a modern classic, all masterpieces in their own right. I've seen them all many times and I am always, and I mean every single time, overwhelmed by the depth of the performances and the commitment to the original story. Peter Jackson and company are frackin' geniuses.
I am in awe of those who write exceptional dialogue for movies and television, although I believe it's harder for the medium of film, maybe because of the impact of being on the big screen. Somehow the words have to matter more.
When done correctly, words that are chosen carefully for the story and character stay with me a long time. When done incorrectly or without the proper respect for craft, the words vanish from my mind, shaken clean like an Etch a Sketch. Think about it. How many lines can you quote from The Wizard of Oz? How many can you quote from Showgirls? See?
There are movie quotes I recall for my own amusement and there are those that have helped me navigate and negotiate the quicksanded, landmined terrain of this life.
Among my favorites:
From Magnolia:
The book says we might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.
If you can understand that, you might save yourself thousands of dollars in therapy.

From The American President:
You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil who is standing center stage advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.
This is one of my favorite movie quotes because it explain the complexity of democracy.
How can anyone think that democracy is a just add freedom and stir ideal?

From Michael:
You gotta learn to laugh, it's the way to true love.
Nothing in this life is more true.

From The Princess Bride:
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
I love this quote because it's the one that's going on in my head whenever I'm in a heated arguement at school with various disagreeable types.

From The Shawshank Redemption:
Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.
I've lost some dear friends over the years, and remembering this helps.

From Star Trek: Generations
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
JSG touched on this not too long ago and she and Picard are correct.

From The Return of the King:

This exchange between Pippin and Gandalf made me cry a little the first time I saw it. It's elegantly written and tender at the same time.

PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way.
GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.
PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?
GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad.
GANDALF: No. No, it isn't.

That's the best thing about words, isn't it? The ability to take you outside of yourself within the reach of your own heart.

4 comments:

MJ said...

Thanks for revisiting some of my favorite movies as well through dialogue.
Strangely, I can only come up with some very funny lines from movies I love but don't quite fit the caliber of what you've begun here.

From Home Alone:
Bring me back something French! (not said by Macauluy Culkin)

From Uncle Buck:
He's cooking our garbage. (said by Macauluy Culkin).

From Tommy Boy:
What'd you do?

From When Harry Met Sally:
Sally, please report to me.

Yea, all of these are about how the person said them. They make LJ and me smile.

JSG said...

Moving to the Southeast EJG and I embrace one quote from my favorite cinematic depiction of the romp south of New York:

Mona Lisa Vito: [Vinny looks at her funny] What?
Vinny Gambini: Nothing. You stick out like a sore thumb around here.
Mona Lisa Vito: Me? What about you?
Vinny Gambini: I fit in better than you. At least I'm wearing cowboy boots.
Mona Lisa Vito: Oh yeah, you blend.

I lack the eye for depth that yours reflected, but these, too have become words to live by.

LJ said...

Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

DiaBelo said...

Love your title. You're really good at that.