Thursday, December 6, 2007

Thirty-nine: A Girly Whirl

I'm still on the quest for a purse. Dillard's at St. John's Mall offered an arsenal of leather satchelled goods for the average price of a car payment. I know I'm a bargain shopper, but am I out of line feeling that $400 is too much for a bag? I remain on the hunt.
As I walked through the department store, I saw the make-up chicks hard at work with the side make-overs. I always notice the expressions of the women in those chairs experiencing just a dollop of pampering and attention, a bit like giving a drop of water to a parched zinnia. Their entire energy field changes. It's not just the make-up although just last week while I was getting some refills on my Bare Minerals, the make-up gal who looked like a refugee from one of the High School Musicals, gave me a bit of this and that, made my eyes look fabulous with eye liner in just the right shade, a metallic brown that I would have never ever tried which I eventually bought. I left feeling great because I looked better, really and while I have always adhered to the philosophy of Billy Crystal's Fernando: "Dahlings, it is better to look good than to feeeel good," I do know it's not just the make-up. I think it has to do with the time you spend or someone else spends paying attention to you, which is a simple thing but often overlooked. I think it's what we all want, someone to listen to us, hand us the right shade of lipgloss and tell us that we look mahvelous.

4 comments:

JSG said...

It's true that a some rosy gloss on the lips can be a mood-lifter. It's hard to be a grump when you're sparkly and aglow.

DiaBelo said...

Oh, I love "water to a parched zinnia." You know how to get me.

JSG said...

Hey - Love the title. You've been putting titles instead of just the numbers. I know how the titles are so easy for you, Cora!

MJ said...

Even when you are just getting the regularly scheduled hair cut, it's nice to have someone else do the washing and styling. I don't enjoy manicures, however. Like you asked...

Good luck with the purs(e)uit of a good bag.