Sunday, December 9, 2007

Forty-two: You Took My Answer

I got all pissy today watching Nancy Giles on Sunday Morning. She complained about the epidemic of texting and mourned the lost art of letter writing. I stood there in front of the TV and wailed, "Oh no you don't! That is my life's bemoaned lament! How dare you complain about the lack of letter writing when I've been saying it for the last decade! Did you just get the memo?"
I should have been happy she was putting it out there to gently jolt people out of their e-mail trance. I wasn't. I was furious she had the chance to say it on TV to millions of people whereas I can only say it to my students and assorted friends who I know want to sink my face into a cream pie whenever I speak about the intimate beauty of the personal letter. Of course, I envisioned this increase in letter writing from this segment. The jump in stamp revenues revitalizes the postal service so much that the surplus money is given to the department of defense where that money is used to design a machine that ultimately ends the war and brings about lasting peace in the Middle East. Nancy Giles is given her own stamp, a yearly invite to Oprah's Favorite Things Show, an insane discount on all Apple products and a Prada purse designed to her specifications. This is why watching TV is bad.

4 comments:

DiaBelo said...

I think you can sue her for copyright infringement. I still have the cover letter and package of self-addressed stamped envelopes with matching stationery you gave me in 1999.

MJ said...

I think you've gotten this word out pretty well. I mean, I was writing a letter to Billy Collins within an hour of meeting you.

LJ said...

I'm about to send out Christmas cards, do those count as letters?

JSG said...

Letter writing is good, but blogging is too.