Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Forty-four: Goodnight Bunny

Besides my usual equipment and clothes and such, I brought some extra things on this trip. Trail mix in my bag helped with the lack of food on the plane. Full of protein and natural sugars, I felt I could snicker at the flight attendants who offered me that postage stamp sized bag of pretzels. I brought an Entertainment Weekly, thin enough publication not enough to weigh my purse down yet diverting enough to get me through the first 17 minutes of the flight, the time that vexes me the most. Of course some Irish Breakfast Tea bags made it into my carryon because there's no way on God's earth that I'll find it here. I threw in a small knitting project in my checked bag just in case the circular lime green aluminum needles fast tracked me into the land of profiling. I always bring my XL X-Files T shirt I bought in '94 to sleep in because it's comfortable and I need all the help I can get on the road to sleep a full night.
The one thing I didn't bring but stumbled onto while channel surfing was an HBO special, Dave Attell: Captain Miserable. Can't quote any of it because it was so perverted and so twisted that my belly laughs drowned out and derailed my short term memory neurons that would have been instrumental in quoting him. I love Attell because nothing is off limits to him. It was just what I needed to help me feel less disconnected. Right about this time most every night, Cal and I are having ourselves some kind of silly chortle to end the night and it's our own giggling we hear before we fall asleep.

3 comments:

DiaBelo said...

You make the best transitions from perversion to sweetness that I know of. Where in the world are you, Carmen Sandiego?

MJ said...

I was able to hear your laugh in this. I also pictured the people in the next room wondering "What is she watching?"

JSG said...

The noises of the hotel, the emptiness of the bed, the unfamiliar surroundings, I know them well. There's nothing to replace the bedtime routine at home. Life as we know it has to pause.