Saturday, December 8, 2007

Forty-one: That's Hedley

I'm taking a short break from watching Blazing Saddles on AMC to post. It doesn't matter that I've seen it about 500 times and that I am able to do nearly all the dialogue, if it's on TV, I'm going to stop everything and watch it. The writing was light years ahead of its time and now 34 years later, it still slaps us around for our racism by mocking our habits that we choose time and time again. It has great performances by Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Harvey Korman and Madeline Kahn who is especially brilliant in her send-up of Dietrich singing the best song of coital exhaustion, "I'm Tired." I never grown tired of seeing her do that bit.
I like to watch favorite movies again and again. Some people don't get that and I understand it doesn't make sense but I love a good story and I don't mind seeing a good one again and again. It's terribly secure, you always know what's going to happen. When you have a frightfully unyielding day at work, there's comfort in a movie that makes you laugh so hard you forget the unreasonable demands that leave you feeling unappreciated and inadequate. It's the same reason I've watched Aliens about 1000 times. My ability to substitute my own work monsters for the aliens as they are getting blown up, shot up, driven over and sucked into space from a cargo hold proves to be damn good therapy, cheap too. And now, if I only had a flame thrower.

4 comments:

JSG said...

My Cousin Vinny does that for me.

MJ said...

Tommy Boy used to be our watch-all-the-time movie.

We've had many. I don't rewatch as often as I used to though.

LJ said...

Great movies deserve to be watched over and over again, and I know how to make napalm.

DiaBelo said...

I'm in the twelve-step program for Blazing Saddles after OD'ing a long time ago.