Friday, December 7, 2007

Forty: Rock Steady

Earlier in the day, I ran errands with my brother who is staying overnight with his boyfriend and three dogs. The dogs are a treat. They like to hang out and snooze a great deal. When they are up they enjoy putting their chins on your lap and produce the large dog sigh, a sign of contentment or quite possibly boredom. The thing with dogs is that you can't tell and they are too patient to complain. It reminded me that I miss having a dog.
John and I went to Cobalt Moon, a center for all things yoga, meditation, tai-chi and incense tinged. They have a gift shop and since this is an area that my brother and I share, we went in to browse. We both bought small bottles of crystals but we made sure they were crystals that applied to our life forces. We both knew we didn't need Chyrsoprase to allign chakras and ethereal planes. Also good for a broken heart. Nope, our hearts are solid. Amethyst was a common purchase because it balances physical-emotional bodies and promotes stability and peace. I decided to order a metric ton of it and have it delivered to school on Monday, along with garnet which removes chakra negative energy. If the crystals don't work, plan B of that pesky exorcism will have to be tapped as go. I went on to buy the Peridot, a lovely green sparkly crystal that stimulates the heart and navel chakras, that I nabbed just because it reminded me of Matthew McConnaghey's eyes. We walked out to the car while he shared with me the history of Shiva from the pendant he bought and for a split second I felt myself back in the South Bronx where most of our childhood lay in ruins. I remembered walking home with him by my side, talking always talking to me. The three tiny bottles of crystals sit on my desk emanating a healing aura to my chakra....okay, I can't even get that out without laughing a little. Pretty, shiny little crystals that remind me of an agreeable afternoon long overdue with my brother.

3 comments:

DiaBelo said...

I read it over and over. The last four sentences, wow. Say hello to baby brother. And don't ever laugh at me again for getting my chakra aligned.

MJ said...

What a sweet post.

I love how it's all "chakra" and then you say " I went on to buy the Peridot, a lovely green sparkly crystal that stimulates the heart and navel chakras, that I nabbed just because it reminded me of Matthew McConnaghey's eyes."

And then we get: "...for a split second I felt myself back in the South Bronx where most of our childhood lay in ruins."

Thanks for a this thoughtful entry. I've been behind on my posting because things are as bad at my school as they are at yours. Maybe I'll wear a garnet necklace on Monday; it's my birthstone anyway.

JSG said...

It's funny thing - growing up so close to a sibling, then building your own lives separately. How wonderful that you could share a time that brought you back to the days when your house was his too.