Monday, November 5, 2007

Eight

Today was a perfect weather day. I realize it's Florida and we get our fair share of great weather, but today was perfect. Just a hint of breeze. Not a cloud in a cornflower blue sky. Just the right amount of sun. Enough to be comforting, but not enough to make you break a sweat. Even the air had a tinge of fall, which feels a lot like spring because it is Florida and we don't get normal autumn, but we get perfect days like this which is a pleasant enough trade off.
I managed to have a brisk power walk after work, not on the beach as I would have liked because it was high tide, but along First Street. But afterwards, we strolled out just to watch the water. Living close to the ocean for this long, I admit it, it makes you take the view for granted. I don't always come down here, a mere 11 minute walk from my house across the death trap that is now Third Street so it has becomes a kind of local Fear Factor mini-event. Still, I don't make the trip often during the summer. Part of it is because I hate people. Not everyone, mind you, just people in crowds that come to the beach with every thing they own and park by the water's edge and carry on their dysfunctional family spewage in a natural setting. It's upsetting to me to see the beauty of the beach smeared by such Judge Judy /Jerry Springer energy. So I tend to avoid the beach like the plague during the summer.
In the late fall and winter, though, it's a different story. Like today. The water was a steel gray and blue with the sunshine laced between layers of waves. On the sand were piles of seaweed in brown sienna, perfect for a clambake. Where's friggin' Frankie Avalon when you need him? That guy could always put together a clambake in a New York second and the band would appear out of nowhere. There were a few surfers in the water, a couple of guys on shore with their rods and reels trying to outwit the fish. I sat there and took it all in. Looked at the expanse of ocean which is a miracle in itself how it hangs with this planet. I breathed in the air, with just the right amount of salt, and each image lingered even when I shut my eyes. No revelation emerged, only a little peace and beauty on a Monday.

5 comments:

EJG said...

Not only does Jacksonville have great weather (most of the time), but we have a river AND an ocean. Now, if we could only get rid of the small minds....

LJ said...

You're right. Yesterday was a perfect North Florida November day.

JSG said...

I'm waiting for the MJ comment on the incredible writing style. I won't say that you write with pinpoint accuracy and clarity, yret you lay down the prose in a way that makes it seem so easy for you.

I won't comment about all that, because I know MJ will want to.

Mrs. Jackson said...

That's what I get for commenting last. Thanks for all the pressure, JSG. Now all meaningful commentary has flown from my head. It is well-written, particularly the fear factor line and then this one: "Looked at the expanse of ocean which is a miracle in itself how it hangs with this planet. I breathed in the air, with just the right amount of salt, and each image lingered even when I shut my eyes. I hate to mention it but a picture would go perfect with this post.

MJ said...

Who posted that last comment anyway? DOH!