Sunday, November 18, 2007

Twenty-one

I am very particular about my purses. Usually, I like the long shoulder strap and a big bag. I am not a small purse gal. I need my stuff , all kinds of it, because I never know when I'm going to be in emergency situation that requires me to build a combustion engine with nothing more than a scrunchie, lip gloss, airline headphones, a NY Metro pass and a tampon. The problem is that the accessory trend in purses right now is a large bag and a shorter strap. Even if I slung any of these bags over my shoulder, the bag would rest somewhere under my arm pit, which is uncomfortable. Also the bag of my dreams needs to be stylish, a rich brown yet affordable leather (sorry Elsies) or something in croc, hopefully an old croc who had a long and fulfilling life thrashing poachers and died of natural causes because I have nothing in crocodile. It also needs compartments. At least two inside with zippers, three is preferable, with smaller pockets for phone, glasses, pens, wallet, keys, glasses, notebook and camera. That way, everything has their particular place and in case of alien invasion and subsequent blackout, I could find what I needed to build the laser cannon without a sliver of light.
The search today for such a purse was met with utter failure. Granted I confined my search to the beach, so I still have malls to plunder. I remain optimistic. I did give the local venues a thorough perusal and at the third store found myself quite annoyed. According to my calendar, it's not Thanksgiving yet, so what is the deal with the Christmas carols being piped in to the department stores? I know Thanksgiving is four days away, I know. I know holiday crap has been going up since before Halloween. But the songs, the songs should be forbidden until Black Friday, that should be law or Constitutional amendment or something binding like a pinky swear. It's not that I don't like holiday tunes, I happen to enjoy most of them. But from the day after Thanksgiving to New Year's Eve, that's a lot of Yuletide melody overload and I don't need an extra four days of it. Sure, I'm singing along to Johnny Mathis's, "Have Yourself a Very Merry Christmas" now with a smile on my face, but on December 27th, after having heard it 3,452 times, it will have the same effect as anything Mariah Carey sings: dry heaving and a need for a Silkwood shower.
My holiday music, like the things in my purse, needs a specific space and time and the retail industry disappoints on both fronts.

3 comments:

JSG said...

OMG I have been in purse hell too. What's with the bitty straps? Do we have to put sizes on purses? I want it to fit over my arm and be a little more comfortable than the blood pressure cuff.

Yes, I can see you building "a combustion engine with nothing more than a scrunchie, lip gloss, airline headphones, a NY Metro pass and a tampon.", After all, you are the Worst Case Scenario subscriber.

The holiday music? I'll leave that rant for EJG's comment. Or maybe it will have to be a post, because once he gets started on this topic...

EJG said...

See my post tomorrow. Thanks for the topic!

MJ said...

I just found purse I am loving! It's funny because I almost did a post on it. You know that moment that you look back at your empty, old shell of a purse and see your stuff in the new purse.

You wouldn't like mine though. It's got a long strap and it's about the size of a large pita pocket. It does have multiple compartments, which I am enjoying. I'll have to show you sometime. :)

Holiday music. I start playing it pretty early but that's a personal problem. I don't think stores should be playing it yet.