Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thirty-one

Coming home from Wal-Mart tonight (it was an emergency, I had to get new printer cartridges), I noticed the first wave of holiday lights. Let me say this, Christmas is not my favorite holiday. It's rather like a night out at a Chippendale's bar. It's a lot of prep and planning, you get there and it's loud, really expensive and over with quickly. Afterwards, you wonder why you even bothered. If you're a parent with little kids, I've heard it's different because you relive the holiday through the wonder and joy of your child's eyes. Yeah, whatever.
Here's what I enjoy about the season: time off from work which I shouldn't have to explain because I work for the public schools. Also because lots of my friends are teachers, I get to see them a little more and that's never a bad thing because they are a witty and urbane lot and many times they bring me wine. Most of the time, it's cooler and I have an opportunity to wear socks and sweaters. People wear pants more, something I'm grateful for because let's face it, not everyone looks good in shorts, no matter how warm it is.
So it's the lights that delight me and the neighborhood light tours we take all during December are one of the few traditions of the season. Already off Penman Ave, there's a house in full Mother Ship light allure. I'm certain this house can be seen from the Hubble Telescope. Now, some would offer the words gaudy, overdone or tasteless for this kind of lighting design and that is a matter of opinion. I find those inflatable things you see on lawns to be pretty tasteless. I find them to be creepy which may go back to multiple viewings of that old Twilight Zone episode where the people were in that glass bubble city. My neurosis, but I stand by it.
What I admire about the Mother Ship house is their focus and their work ethic. It took a village to erect that kind of startling illumination and a vision to see it through. Sure, it may take your breath away and perhaps cause permanent damage to your retinas, but commitment like that is rare and refreshing especially during the holidays.

3 comments:

DiaBelo said...

I would enjoy Christmas more if it weren't for the Chrismification of Thanksgiving. I had people say to me - before Thanksgiving - "enjoy the holiday." As if TG had transmogrified into something religious, and they were afraid of offending me by confusing it with a competing event, like, I dunno, homecoming weekend. Whatever.

MJ said...

I love the voice of this piece: People wear pants more, something I'm grateful for because let's face it, not everyone looks good in shorts, no matter how warm it is.
Lots of humor, even for a fan of the holiday.

Yeah, I don't know how people spend so much time and effort on lights.

JSG said...

You hit your writing stride on this one. Christmas/Chippendales, friends bring wine, shorts vs. pants, Hubble Telescope - this one warranted a three-peat reading for me to enjoy the Coraisms.

As a Northern transplant and a Jew, I always find it weird to see blow up Santa in his winter suit under the palm tree. Does it keep the dream of a White Christmas alive? Does plugging in Santa make one a better Christian? I'll screw in my one lonely lightbulb a night, thank you.

In Time Magazine 2 weeks ago, I really enjoyed the essay "Merry Hallowmass" by Nancy Gibbs.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1682266,00.html

The holday stacking thing has become worse in recent years I think.