Friday, November 23, 2007

Twenty-six

I've been in a panic for most of the evening because we've been having Internet router type snafus and there was uncertainty about being able to post tonight. You would think that knowing that I would try to post early because it would be the sensible thing to do, but no. The 30 day blogvow is now a big deal and not just because of the vow in front of small yet devoted readership of four. It's a big deal because now it's a habit, a strange habit that allows me a feeling of expression, accomplishment and closure all in one nifty act of writing. My devoted gang of four read and comment, and that is a gift, one of the best, the gift of listening. I'm glad it all worked out this evening, although we're not out of the woods yet and so maybe an early posting might be wise. Nah, that would make too much sense.

We've been watching Elf tonight, one of the holiday movies I will agree to sit through. Will Ferrell is a genius as Buddy and the whole story is silly and sweet, but in the right proportions. My favorite thing about Elf is the soundtrack, one of the great film soundtracks. My favorite track is not even a Christmas tune, it's Louie Prima's, Pennies From Heaven, the best version of that song ever recorded, no lie. The Christmas movies are out in full force and I can only watch a few, along with Elf, I do adore A Christmas Story, A Charlie Brown Christmas, also mostly for the music, a little known Bogart film called We're No Angels which we also used to watch with Cal's Mom, Nancy and Aunt Myrtice, Scrooged, and what I hope becomes a modern holiday classic, Bad Santa. I've left out the usual suspects: It's a Wonderful Life which is so depressing you end up grabbing a handful of Darvocet before the five minute lift at the very end. Sorry, Frank Capra, for a lot of us, it was too little too late. I know I'm leaving out many and so, you know it was coming the minute I mentioned movies, but I got to ask: what are your favorites and which ones do you loathe?

5 comments:

LJ said...

I remember watching Bad Santa in bed while MJ was asleep. I couldn't help laughing out loud so often that MJ made me watch it in the living room. Billy Bob Thorton and John Ritter (RIP) are fracking geniuses.

LJ said...

Love Actually. It's got something for everyone. Love it, love it, love it.

We also love Home Alone. It's classic for physical comedy and a cute kid. He was cute back then.

MJ said...

DOn't you hate when people don't log out and then they get credit for your sweet and thoughful comments?

EJG said...

LJ,So glad you "love it, love it, love it".. Ohh, I see now. It was MJ.

Anyway, I don't know if animated movies count, but I love the Holy Trifecta of Christmas Cartoons; Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, The Year Without a Santa Claus, and Rudolph (the original).

I also love Alastair Sim's "Christmas Carol". Or any version, for that matter (including Mr. Magoo's).

Cora, glad to have you back and commenting. I'm rereading everyone's blogs to catch your responses!

JSG said...

I can't think of any special holiday movies, though there is a movie-related tradition that has developed.

We Jews are happy to go out to the movies on Christmas day and see whatever new release came out that day. 2 years ago Dreamgirls previewed on Christmas, and we were there.

If only the Chinese restaurants were open Christmas, we could have complete the experience.